Article republished from BetterWorld.Info
Organised by three exemplary campaigners from the peace movement – Kathy Kelly, Nick Mottern, and Brad Wolf, this war crimes tribunal aims to hold accountable U.S. weapons manufacturers who knowingly are producing, selling, and making enormous profits from an industry which is responsible for the deaths of thousands in armed conflicts around the world.
Planned for November 2023, the event has brought together some of the most well-known organisations in the peace world such as World Beyond War, Code Pink, Ban Killer Drones, PAX Christi USA, Veterans for Peace, and indeed ourselves here at Better World Info.
The tribunal members are made up of celebrated attorneys, political activists, human rights defenders, law professors, combat veterans, and diplomats. Many of whom have witnessed and suffered first-hand the tragedy of war, and the devastating humanitarian consequences.
The Merchants of Death tribunal will hear evidence through a series of testimonies and interviews which will be later be reviewed and a verdict rendered. War crimes, and crimes against humanity, and the violation of U.S. Federal law are the potential charges which could be faced.
So far, subpoenas have been served to Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Raytheon, and General Atomics. They must provide to the tribunal ‘all documents revealing their complicity in aiding and abetting the United States government in committing war crimes, crimes against humanity, bribery, and theft.’
The global arms trade is big business. U.S. arms sales to foreign governments rose by 49% to $205.6 billion in 2022. The U.S. is by far the world’s biggest arms exporter. These weapons are fuelling conflict, death, misery, destruction, repression, displacement, human rights abuses, and global instability.
The U.S. Military-Industrial-Complex urgently needs to be controlled, regulated, and held to account. Human lives are not merely collateral damage in the race for more profit and power. If this group of peace activists can achieve a guilty verdict, they can hope to set a precedent for curbing this business of death in countries all over the world.
For related topics be sure to check out our guides to Conflict Regions, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Nuclear Disarmament, the Military, ABC Weapons, and Peace.
Author: Rachael Mellor, 02.08.23
For further reading on the Merchants of Death War Crimes Tribunal see below ⬇️
- Merchants of Death WAR CRIMES TRIBUNAL – November 10-13, 2023
- Merchants of Death War Crimes Tribunal – Videos & Podcasts
- Merchants of Death War Crimes Tribunal – YouTube Channel
- The Merchants of Death War Crime Tribunal – Hearings Begin November 2023 – ASIL
- Merchants of Death on Rumble
- Video: The History of the Original Merchants of Death
- War for Profit: A Very Short History – Brad Wolf, CommonDreams 08.05.23
- “Contempt Citation” served on Raytheon and “Subpoena to Appear” served on Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin for War Crimes – Code Pink 10.02.23
- Can the Military-Industrial Complex Be Tamed? Merchants of Death 02.02.23
- Video: Merchants of Death War Crimes Tribunal – MPA 19.01.23
- Decry the Merchants of Death: Peace activists take on the Pentagon and its “corporate outposts.” – Kathy Kelly, Progressive Magazine 30.12.22
- “A Personified Weapon of Mass Destruction”: Ex-Arms Trafficking Inspector on Freed Russian Viktor Bout – DN 09.12.22
- Audio: Kathy Kelly and Brad Wolf interviewed on WBAI Radio 05.12.22
- Video: Cornel West Interview Clip for Merchants of Death War Crimes Tribunal 25.11.22
- ‘Subpoenas’ Served on US Weapons Manufacturers – Brad Wolf, CommonDreams 11.11.22
- “Subpoenas” delivered to Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Raytheon, & General Atomics offices 10.11.22
- Collateral Damage / Merchants of Death War Crime Tribunal – CounterPunch 14.10.22
- Waltzing Toward Armageddon with the Merchants of Death – CP 3/22
- America’s Merchants of Death: Then and Now – CP 8/21
- The “Merchants of Death” Survive and Prosper – CP 1/18
- The Real Merchants of Death – CP 9/10
- Book: Merchant of Death: Money, Guns, Planes, and the Man Who Makes War Possible 4/08
- Viktor Bout (Russian) – Wikipedia
- Permanent Peoples’ Tribunal – PPT
- Permanent Peoples’ Tribunal – Wikipedia
- Russell Tribunal (1966-67) – Wikipedia
- Book: War Is a Racket (1935) – Wikipedia
- Book: War is a Racket – by Major General Smedley Butler
- Smedley Butler (Major General) – Wikipedia
- Nye Committee (1934-36) – Wikipedia
- Gerald Nye (U.S. Senator) – Wikipedia
- Book: Merchants of Death 6/34 – by Engelbrecht & Hanighen – free download